I wrote this in my journal over a year ago, but it’s evergreen and relevant today. It’s a letter from your future self.
Dear Present Me,
This is you in 10 years and I’m here to offer you some advice. After all, I’m now stronger, healthier, happier, wiser, wealthier, more attractive and more fulfilled. So here are the things you need to start doing to become me. Which means the ultimate successful you.
WHAT YOU SHOULD START DOING
1. Take care of your skin because outward appearance matters too.
2. Dress the way you want to be addressed. Dress casually (in customised tees) and good shoes. Dress in suits to public events to boost your personal brand and public presence.
3. Take your prayer life seriously because it is the blessing of the Lord that makes one rich and adds no sorrow to it. That’s the blessing currently in my life.
4. Study and meditate on your Bible more often. Day and night. It will give you wisdom, clarity on the paths you are currently on.
5. Take your money making ventures more seriously. Money is not the purpose of man but it facilitates man’s purpose.
6. Cultivate healthy relationship with people with positive vibes. This is one of the reasons I’m still happy today.
7. Keep setting those goals and make sure you achieve them. Let these goals cover all sectors of your life. It paid off in mine.
8. Those books you’re reading. Keep reading them. Study them with the intent of applying the four tenets of learning. Read to Know. Read to Do. Read to Be. Read to live together. This applies for any other thing you’re learning too.
9. Please, I need you to be consistent. Keep showing up. It will be hard in the beginning for you, but it turns to an effortless habit for me.
10. Don’t be over anxious too at times. Worry won’t get you to where I am now. Smile. Laugh. Then Do. The Doing part removes the anxiety and worry.
11. Focus on a single craft before moving to the next. Master its art, science and business before jumping to your next interest. Don’t forget this. This is how I became so successful. Don’t forget to spread like a Palm tree. Very important.
WHAT YOU SHOULD STOP DOING
12. Stop being lazy. You’re talented and creative. But this will only show if you put hardwork and consistency in whatever you do and whoever you meet.
13. Remove shame and ideology of “what people will say.” Once broken, you will gradually become like me.
14. Stop going small in your dreams and goals. Go big. Shamelessly with your knowledge, airtime, money and everything you got.
15. Stop waiting for the right moment. I know you. You do this a lot.
16. Stop watching porn, dear. You’re me. Stopping this will improve your sexual life and cleanse your thoughts. Keep your sexual energy for your partner.
17. Stop being distracted. Social media. Movies. Anime. Other people’s work in charity form. Do what is important first, before doing the next.
18. Stop being nonchalant about your health, spirituality, and body appearance. Though it may matter a little compared to what you’re feeding your mind. But it matters nonetheless.
19. Stop seeking perfection all the time. Always find a balance between Creativity and perfection.
I hope you take my advice. I wish you all the best as you grow and thrive to become your highest.
Your future self.
What else is your future self telling you to do? Please tell me in the comments below.
Honestly, this is a tricky topic. Because no single person on planet Earth has the answer. I’m not a time traveler. We are not born to travel into time. With this limited range, we are stuck in the present. And at certain times, we find ourselves getting anxious about the future or regrets about the past.
And all these originates from a place. A place of fear.
So we are starting with the first ‘F word’ on the title.
WHAT ARE YOUR FEARS?
– I hope I won’t lose my job during this period? – I have just lost my job. How will I survive? – I have not gotten something to do at all. Where will I start from? – My business is not making profits. I hope I am not wasting my time? – Another rejection mail. Will this thing ever work out? – I’m learning a skill no one is paying for. Why am I doing it in the first place? – Everybody is already doing what I plan to do. I’m scared already. – I am single and already getting old. Will I ever meet the love of my life? – I’ve started creating content and only two people commented in a month Why is life not balanced at all?
Feel to add your current fears too if it’s not on the list.
But one thing is already evident. As long as we live in this uncertain unpredictable world, there will always be something to be afraid of. There is always something to feel anxious about. But this should never be your case. Because there’s a way around this.
It’s necessary to define fear first. The simplest definition of FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. This inevitably means one thing. It’s all in your mind.
The falsehood. The worry. The anxiety. It’s all in your head and your reactions towards your thoughts.
I understand this emotion can be caused by both actual and perceived threats. But still, fear is an emotion. And emotions can be managed, controlled and even replaced.
This leads us to the second part:
WHERE DO YOUR FANTASIES LIE?
All actions start from a single thought. You move because your mind tells you to move. Words come out from your mouth because your brain translates your thought patterns into actual words. And you make and unmake plans after mapping out the steps in your head.
This means all thoughts originate from the image making power of your mind. Your imagination. Hence, your actions so far have been done in your fantasies before.
Personally, I believe this to be true. Thinking lowly of yourself leads to external low self-esteem. Thoughts of you failing leads to the actual failure itself.
Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny
And this brings us to the most powerful F word of them all. Faith.
WHO IS YOUR FAITH ON?
There’s a short story that protrays the importance of faith over fear:
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
This fable shows that it’s important to keep replacing our thoughts of fear with that of faith.
Living a fear-based lifestyle simply leads to constant worry, anxiety and eventual despair. But having a faith based life leads to contentment, freedom and peace of mind while achieving your goals. This eventually leads to striving to be the best version of yourself on a daily basis.
The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see.
Hebrews 11:1-2 MSG
After learning the fundamentals behind your fear, fantasies and faith; what are the steps to take in order to have a positive future?
1. BELIEVE IN GOD
Having total trust and confidence on the ways, thoughts and opinions of God is definitely the first step on the path of having a certain future in an uncertain world.
The reason is because the universe was created and designed in tandem with His Will for you and I. So, who better to collaborate when making your plans than the Master Planner Himself.
Believe in God by developing a personal relationship with Him through prayer, reading his Word and communicating with people who truly worship Him.
Practice this belief by showering love to yourself and everyone you come in contact with.
2. MAKE PLANS FOR TOMORROW BUT DO THEM TODAY
Alice Morse Earle once said, “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why it is called the present.” ( I first heard this quote from Master Oogway in Kung Fu Panda)
You are young at heart and in body with boundless mental and physical energy but you only have the power to change today.
You can achieve this step by setting long term goals with daily steps and monthly milestones. For instance, a goal of reading twelve books a year means you must finish book every month and reviewing your new found knowledge on a quarterly basis.
3. VISUALISE YOUR HIGHEST SELF
Visualisation is a powerful way of mentally breaking yourself from the uncertainties of today’s world.
Build strong mental images of how you want to be in the future. Stephen Covey put this as, “Begin with the end in mind.”
So, imagine yourself in a big beautiful mansion with lovely kinds and the perfect partner. Imagine your books being sold and read by millions of readers worldwide. Visualise yourself being the head of a successful and thriving Fortune 500 company. Make these visualisations as personalised and clear as possible. The clearer and more vivid these images are in your head. The better.
After this mental exercise, show up with that aura and energy every day.
And this brings us to the last step on building a certain future in an uncertain world:
3. READ GOD’S WORD REGULARLY
Try to study God’s Word every day ( I use the word, “try” because I still struggle to maintain a daily streak) This is extremely important because it is easy to get swayed and fearful with the news headlines from both traditional and social media platforms.
Yet, God’s Word has already foretold these perilous times, and studying it every day is a gentle reminder that you are loved and meant to last forever. There are also timeless principles and success stories of men who excelled in their own era. And you won’t be an exception.
Yeah. That’s it. Based, here is a quick checklist of what you need to do to have a positive future:
Learn to replace your fears with faith.
Establish the right fantasies.
Place your faith on God by believing in Him.
Believe in God by praying and studying his Word.
Make plans for tomorrow but execute them today.
Visualise your highest self and start showing up as him.
Try to study God’s Word every day.
Writing this has made me realise I have had misplaced faith on several occasions and that’s why there are still fears hovering in my head. I learned a lot from this and I hope you feel the same after reading it too.
Cheers to a certain future and an unshakeable faith.
(This post is dedicated to Otache Ochefio for the writing prompt. Thank you Fred for the extra push.)
In the past decade, technology became the buzz word. From Digital marketing, UI/UX, Internet of Things (IoT) to Data Science and artificial intelligence, the hype seemed endless.And the buzz continues in this new decade.
Currently, you probably have a friend or two who keeps muttering around you to “switch over to tech because it is the new oil”. Or maybe you might also have a friend in your clique who abandoned the course he studied in school to become a tech geek. These stories and scenarios are numerous.
But here is the important part. If you want to know how the modern tech industry now works but don’t know where to start from. Then this article is for you.
It’s also possible you have even tried learning a tech-related skill and still have not found out the right fit. This article is still for you too. At the end of this article, I outlined all the existing niches in tech.
But let’s begin with a few guidelines before choosing your desired niche.
1. HAVE A TRUE UNDERSTANDING OF HOW TECHNOLOGY WORKS
This is very important because most young millennials and older generations are struggling to find their footing even after spending years in the lucrative world of tech.
Technology is a tool and a means. Hence all the skills used in tech has to be channelled to solving problems or making life easier.
If you learn a skill for the sole purpose of being called a “techie”, you are bound to eventually lose in the long run. Venturing into the realm of tech without a defined objective defeats the entire purpose of technology. That’s why the most successful people in tech are those who solved global problems, rather than staying dormant in the tech space.
Technology is anything that creates speed, efficiency and multiplication. Technology controls everything. He who controls technology controls the world
This is because Technology is a platform, and its ultimate goal will be achieved when its resources are used to solve problems in virtually all other sectors of the economy.
Understanding this principle will allow you make the right and satisfying decision when choosing a niche in tech.
2. FIND A CAUSE AND DEVELOP THE FIELD AROUND IT
Yeah. Before selecting that niche, you need to have a reason or drive for selection. This can come from identifying problems around you or developing the required skills for a project you plan to undertake.
Your cause does not have to be defined from the onset, but you must have an idea of what you want to do with the tech skills about to be acquired.
Your cause can be simple or universal. This could range from combating world hunger and environmental problems to simple goals such as boosting the awareness and profitability of your business. Or getting a side hustle.
If you are already developing interest or learning a tech skill in a specific niche, then it is important to channel this skillset and knowledge around the value and impact you want to bring to yourself and the society. Nonetheless, it’s always best to take it one step at a time.
And this brings you to the last tip.
3. KNOW AND EVALUATE YOUR INTERESTS
With the two principles mentioned above, you can now proceed by asking yourself what your interests, passions and core values are. This enables you find the niche best suited to your personality style and proposed value.
The following questions can be helpful while doing this:
– Do you work better alone or with people? – Do you prefer a creative or analytical approach? – Do you prefer to work with words, visuals (pictures and videos) or numbers? – Do you prefer a front line (limelight) or BTS (Behind The Scenes) job role? – Are your goals for the skillset short term or long term?
Answering these questions will help you fast track the process in choosing your desired tech niche that pays off in the long run.
We are done with the tips for choosing a tech related niche, here is the list of all the major fields in the modern tech revolution:
Niches in Tech:
1. Augmented reality 2. Automation 3. Artificial intelligence 4. Building a startup 5. Cloud computing 6. Content marketing 7. Crypto currency 8. Cyber security 9. Design 10. Education Tech 11. Film 12. Fintech 13. Information technology 14. IoT (Internet of Things) 15. Machine learning 16. Marketing tech 17. Mobile apps 18. Programming 19. Software as a service (SaaS) 20. Social media 21. Tech addiction 22. Video games 23. Virtual Reality 24. Web design
You will notice that modern tech goes beyond coding, programming and robots. So there is definitely a niche for you to grow in and develop yourself.
If you read this to the end, you are already part of the tech revolution for this new decade.
Welcome. . . . Let me know in the comments which field in the tech space you plan on dominating. Or send me a mail ([email protected])