Have you ever read a specific verse in the Bible from a different version and had a profound perspective? This is how I felt after reading Matthew 5:13-16 from the Message. After reading these verses and sharing my thoughts, I sincerely hope it gives clarity and understanding in whatever you do. Read closely because it is also the sole reason on why you and I are here on Earth:
Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.MATTHEW 5:13-16 MSG
Salt of the Earth: Be Valuable
In those days, salt was so valuable and useful that it was used as money. Today, America’s sea salt company identified over 14,000 uses of salt. It’s obvious that to live a healthy life, salt must be part of your daily diet. This is how you should be. Be the salt of the earth. Be extremely important in offering value. Here is how to be the salt of the earth:
- Be Salt. Preserve the peace in your environment and those around you. Try to be peaceful with all men (at least from your end).
- Be Salt. Listen critically and cleanse the impurities. Dissociate from bad people and remove corrupt communication. Do what is right at all times.
- Be Salt. Add ‘taste’ and ‘spice’ to the lives of others. Bring the individuality and uniqueness of your mentors, peers and juniors. Be a beacon of positivity and wisdom.
- Be Salt. Know your origin. Just as how salts originate from the ocean, know you come from a place of abundance. You are limitless and vast. You are from a source of never-ending wisdom, strength and creativity. Knowing your self-identity also boosts your self-worth.
You are the salt of the Earth. Don’t forget this.
Light of the World: Be Visible
The Sun. The Moon. Electric bulb. Candle. These are symbols of life, tranquillity, innovation and restoration respectively. All because they produce light.
This is who you are. The light of the world. You are never meant to be hidden. People need you to survive. Embrace this philosophy wherever you go. Here is how to be the light of the world:
- Be Light. Give life. Let your attitude, actions and words always spread positivity and joy. People should feel energized, encouraged and elated when they see and hear you.
- Be Light. Be visible. Share your story. Share your talents in whatever you can. You cannot be hidden. You are meant for the top. Strive with excellence and the urge to learn. Be spectacular in your doings. Always show up strong.
- Be Light. Illuminate. Enlighten people around you with your exposure, experience and expertise. Don’t be a lonely light in the midst of darkness because it will eventually consume you. Light others up literally. Always seek ways to bring out the potential in others.
- Be Light. Innovate. For instance, the Sun, fire and lighting powered by electricity give us energy, the power to stay active at night and improves our lives at a faster pace. This is how you ought to be. Stay active. Come up with new ideas. Improve constantly. This is the only way you can shine brighter.
I know life is not perfect and throw bad situations at you. There are certain times when you might feel useless, unimportant or confused on what to do with your day or life in general. Or when waves of loneliness or darkness consume your thoughts which in turn affect your attitude and actions.
Please stay strong in those moments. Stay in constant contact with the Creator. Seek advice from positive friends. And one thing is certain.
Never lose sight of who you are. You are Salt and Light.