Do you have a goal that keeps hovering in your mind? Are you overwhelmed with so many activities that you don’t know which to start with? Or maybe you are too paralyzed (or bored) to achieve a certain task. Do you think you may lack focus in the projects you undertake?
You are not alone. It’s a problem many people face in this modern world. It’s lack of focus on your tasks. Focus is an important state you must master to excel at your tasks and completing your to-do lists. It allows you completely concentrate your entire being on a specific activity to achieve it.
How can you achieve this state?
Don’t worry, this article got you covered. After reading this, you will know how to stay focused, avoid distractions and keep moving forward till you accomplish your tasks.
To always accomplish your tasks and activities successfully, the ability to be composed, clear-headed and cool even under pressure is what will separate you from the non-doers. You must practice being able to focus.
Firstly, there are techniques you must learn before achieving a state of focus.
STOP MULTITASKING TO MAXIMIZE FOCUS
Multitasking means trying to do more than one thing at a time. When multitasking, you are just switching between tasks, and don’t do them as well. It’s like playing two games at once. You can’t focus on both.
You can either do one thing or the other excellently, not at the same time.
Multitasking also defeats the purpose of focus. It’s just like progressing in life. It’s only when you take advantage of one opportunity, you will be presented with more. When you move confidently in one direction, more options appear in front of you. Less becomes more because of focus.
BE PRESENT IN THE MOMENT
To constantly accomplish tasks successfully at your peak level, you need to work for extended periods with full concentration. One task at a time. Free from distraction. There is a secret of achieving this.
Everything you do must be important, and that’s the secret. The more you practice doing things with all your heart and attention, the easier it gets. It will become like breathing – you just do it without thinking! The better you focus when you do the little things, the better you’ll do in big stages.
Virtually all situations can be handled as long as the presence of mind is maintained – Josh Waitzkin (International chess master and Jiu-jitsu champion)
There’s one more technique you must learn before I share the steps on focusing on your tasks and getting things done.
VISUALIZE AND USE MENTAL CONTRASTING
A powerful approach to maintain focus is mental contrasting. In this technique, you think about where you are now and contrast it with what you want to achieve.
For instance, let’s say you have a work project due next week. To use mental contrasting, first think about where you are now: maybe you haven’t started yet or just have some ideas. Then, imagine the finished project, how good it will look and how proud you’ll feel.
Now, see the difference between now (not much done) and your goal (a great finished project). This helps you understand what you need to do. So, you plan: “I’ll work on it for an hour every day before starting my daily work routine.”
Seeing where you are and where you want to be motivates you to work on your project a little each day, helping you finish it on time!
Now, we have listed the techniques to maximize your focus. Here are the steps on how to focus to accomplish your goal and tasks.
THE HOW TO FOCUS PROCESS
Focusing on your tasks to accomplish them successfully simply involve five steps:
- Breathe and develop a calm, clear mind: When negative feelings or boredom comes up, notice it, then think about your work again. Breathe and stay calm.
- Do something that has been causing you stress: Do a prior task that worries you. It will make you feel better.
- Schedule time for distractions: Be This should be done at least 10-30 minutes before your specific task. aware Doing this allows you avoid constant temptation.
- Be aware of what environment you work best in and test them: Find where you work best. Try different places to see what’s good for you.
- Begin your task: Starting is the first step to getting things done. Just start, momentum will help you stay focused.
Performing these steps will enhance your ability to focus and successfully complete your tasks.
AND REMEMBER THIS…
Who you are, what you think, feel, and do, what you love – is the sum of what you focus on. This means your world is the outcome of what you pay attention to. Recognize where you are and start small. This is how you keep accomplishing tasks until you are successful.
“I will live the focused life, because It’s the best kind there is” – Winifred Gallagher (accomplished author, and writer.)
To maximize your focus, you must:
- Stop multitasking and do a task one at a time.
- Be present in the moment and treat everything you do as important.
- Visualize and mentally contrast where you are now and what you want to achieve.
Then to maintain focus on your tasks, you must:
- Breathe and stay calm. When you feel bad, notice it, then think about your work again.
- Do a prior task that worries you. It will make you feel better.
- Plan time for fun or breaks. This helps you not get too distracted.
- Find where you work best. Try different places to see what’s good for you.
- Begin your specific tasks. Starting is the first step to getting things done.